Although window treatments can sometimes be overlooked in favor of paint colors and furniture, they’re one of the easiest ways to add flair or dimension to a room without requiring a major overhaul.
Here are some things to keep in mind when choosing window treatments:
- Function should be considered first. We always want to address specific and very personal needs: correct light control, automation, privacy, insulation, safety, operation and view. With so many new and inspiring design innovations and technology your window treatments can be decorative and practical.
- Your personal style is key. Determine the décor theme or inspiration of the room before selecting window treatments. Love green? Try a new shade and make it new again. You want your window treatments to enhance the style and decor of the room.
- Make it about the details. Decorative hardware and embellishments are great individual touches, when used properly. Antique silver finials, tailored leather banding on an edge or a colorful trim and curvy French curtain rods can distinguish your window treatments. Just the right amount of detail will insure your treatments are very personal.
- Create Texture. Textured solids, embroidered sheers, organic linen or shutters all help produce texture and movement. Texture is an easy way to add interest and dimension while avoiding the sensory overload in a room from adding too much pattern.Top-Down/Bottom-Up Vignette Shade | Designer: Beth
- Get the proportion right. Consider the space around the window, the size of the room, the view from the inside out as well as the outside in when choosing window treatments. You don’t want to overfill or skimp. A window treatment can frame, embellish and accessorize but must maintain function and balance.
- Need help? Hirshfield’s Shop at Home is there to help you sort through options and offer up their expertise in regards to your home. It’s a FREE service where our window treatment designers come out to your home.
Since Frank and Elizabeth Hirshfield opened their first store in 1894, it has been our mission to do the best job possible meeting customer needs and solving customer problems. Hirshfield’s. People and products you can trust.